This is a bronze version of the statue of William Huskisson that originally stood in the mausoleum.
"This bronze version of the sculpture was unveiled in October 1847. Its original location was in front of the Customs House in Canning Place, Liverpool. The Customs House was destroyed during air raids in 1940 during the Second World War. In 1954 the sculpture was moved to a new home on the Princes Road/Princes Avenue boulevard. The sculpture was pulled from its plinth in 1982 because people thought Huskisson had been a slave trader. The removal of the sculpture from its plinth took place during a period of civil unrest in Liverpool in the early eighties. From 1982 onwards the bronze sculpture was housed in the Oratory in St James’s Mount Gardens. In 2004 it came into the sculpture studios at the Conservation Centre for conservation. The sculpture is now located in a new housing development off Duke Street in the city centre."
Read more: National Museums Liverpool